7/22/2012

My experiment with the wax!


When our parents were here, Dad found this beautiful book on candle making. He was browsing the library for a good candle making book, as Mom is very interested in this. On a weekend, we went "arts shopping" and made beautiful gel candles. I was so thrilled about it that later they sent me a big block of wax, to work on. Then on, making a square candle for our room has been in my to-do list. 
As part of making the weekend eventful, I attempted it yesterday. 
Since I don't trust myself to continue candle making, my thrifty mind does not want me to invest on 'must have' items like double boiler, wick holder or dedicated molds for candle making
I was saving the empty bottle of olive oil for quite a while to use as my square mold. I used a long tooth pick as wicker. Double boiler was an old sauce pan strategically held in place to get enough heat from boiling water in another bigger sauce pan! (Everyone says, never heat the wax directly on stove top)
If I continue to practice and perfect this, I will surely buy the gadgets soon. 

The only causalities were my last minute panic and screams to get assistance to keep my dummy wicker straight in the center. Of course, instantly Manu engineered a technique to solve the on-site technical glitches! (I think I made the right choice by marrying him)

It was fun making this beautiful little turquoise candle :) 


9 comments:

Swetha said...

Nice work Manju!! :D

Wandering Gaijin said...

Thanks Swetha :-)

Pamitha said...

good piece of work...good photograph also

Wandering Gaijin said...

Thank you Pami :-)

Anonymous said...

Can I know where did you buy your candle making stuffs from?

Wandering Gaijin said...

Hi anonymous,
;)
Are you based in Singapore? If so, I would be able to help you.
'Art friend' sells all accessories for candle making. They have few outlets in Singapore. Here is their website.
http://www.artfriend.com.sg/

Anonymous said...

Hi, yup I'm in singapore. Thanks for the info!

I Supposed the Brash Brasah Complex will be a bigger branch?

Wandering Gaijin said...

Yes, you are right. The Bras Brasah branch is an arts heaven. But the opening hours are kinda limited. They close earlier.
I went to the relatively newer branch at buonavista (in the mrt building itself). They are well stocked too.

Have fun! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey can I find candle wick and wax in art friend?